The next line-up of odd jobs begins with one that can lead to all kinds of interpretations; no, it’s not therapy for hippos, nor is it accusing hippos of being convicted criminals (break it down…)! It is in fact a specialised form of therapy for humans involving horses.
There are a few on this list that sound on the surface like cushy jobs; but as with all careers, they have their downsides too, I’m sure: It’s just creepy to hire someone else to lie down in your hotel bed to warm it up for you, but someone’s got to earn money; and how’d you like to live in a spotless mansion as a living mannequin… never to feel at home, and forced to leave at the drop of a hat? Being an ice cream taster doesn’t sound bad on a hot day, but 60 kinds a day, every day, without swallowing? No, thanks! I’d rather enjoy mine one flavour at a time, or three.
- Horse Rider / Exerciser
- Horticultural Therapist
- Hot Dog Vendor
- Human Bed-Warmer (UK): Some hotels offer a service to clients, in which a willing staffer dresses in an all-in-one fleece jumpsuit, and lays in the bed to warm it before the guest arrives.
- Human Bullet Impact Tester
- Human Prop: Hired to live in for-sale luxury homes at dirt cheap prices; but of course, there’s a catch – the house must always be in squeaky clean, in case it gets purchased, and they have to be ready to move out immediately. According to real estate companies, houses sell better when they’re being lived in; the props lend an unmistakable energy to an otherwise empty home.
- Human Scarecrow (UK) – A variation is that of a human scarecrow for airports – Officially, you’d be called a “specialist for biological aviation safety.”
- Iceberg Mover: Became a profession after the disastrous sinking of the Titanic in 1912. The International Ice Patrol (IIP), which was founded a year later, is operated by the US Coast Guard and tracks the location of icebergs and provides safe routes around them. If necessary, the iceberg will be towed out of the area.
- Ice Cream Taster (Food Scientist)
- IMAX Screen Cleaner
- Interior / Spatial Designer